(By Dr Shahid Qureshi – Chief Editor)
Military courts, terrorism charges, extra judicial killings, disappearances, taggings are only for men with beards and woman in hijab only or is there any accountability of real traitors and financial terrorists and hit man like Tariq Bajwa?
Tariq Bajwa as federal secretary finance of Pakistan sabotaged the return of Pakistan’s $200 billion from the Swiss banks by delaying the signing of terms of reference to be agreed with the Swiss government for the return of the loot money in Swiss banks.
I spoke to the British Members of Parliament in the British Military Think Tank (RUSI), while General Raheel Sharif was speaking at the think tank, “if Britain will help Pakistan get the money back from Swiss Banks. He replied by saying all it requires is a letter from the Attorney General of Pakistan to Swiss Attorney General. So, to make life easy for PML-N Government I and some legal experts drafted following letter which was published. (See below)
Tariq Bajwa a civil servant acted criminally, and his actions caused the losses to the economy and damage to the national interests of the state of Pakistan. Therefore, he should be tried in the military court under anti-terrorist laws. Any one who try to sabotage this return of money be it Asad Umar current finance minister or NAB should be treated as accomplice to financial terrorism and sabotage.
Refusal to obey illegal orders and application of ‘Unlawful Command’ rule in civil bureaucracy is almost non-existent. On the other hand, we find civil bureaucracy behind all illegalities and irregularities leading to the financial and administrative collapse of Pakistan. This what I asked Major General Asif Ghafoor spokesman of Pakistan armed forces in London on 13th October 2018 at Pakistan High Commission.
Since 9/11 2001, Pakistani security establishment and civil bureaucracy created an atmosphere that all the ills and problems in Pakistan are because of Madrassa and its students starting form not building of dams, not having clean water, non-existent health and hospital facilities, increase in murder, rapes and crimes against women and girls.
Somehow the armed forces of Pakistan seem to be fooled by the civil bureaucracy and they were stretched and thinned by the non-cooperation of the district administration and police in maintaining the law and order in the cities and urban areas. Armed Forces are not designed to fight with terrorism and terrorists. The corrupt police and district administration created and sheltered mafias that provided shelter to the terrorist groups run by foreign agencies. Terrorist can not operate in isolation and need launching spaces and collaborators.
Coming back to Tariq Bajwa current Governor State Bank of Pakistan and his treachery to Pakistan.
In May 2014 it was reported in media that:
“Finance Minister of Pakistan Ishaq Dar told the National Assembly that government is seriously considering steps to bring back illegal assets from Swiss banks.
The Finance Minister told the National Assembly in writing that the government is seriously mulling to exchange information regarding the illegal money deposited in the Swiss banks under new laws.
The new Act of 2010 allows the Swiss government to exchange the confidential information regarding the illegal amount deposited in the Swiss banking industry. Ishaq Dar said that the Pakistan-Switzerland tax agreement is unsatisfactory, and amendments are required in order to gain access to Pakistani capital. He further said that the Federal cabinet has approved the summary to review the agreement with the Swiss government.
Parliamentary Secretary for Finance Rana Afzal said that the names and accounts of those Pakistanis could be accessed who have deposited unauthorized money in the Swiss banks if the amendments are approved in the Pakistan-Switzerland agreement.
Furthermore, a delegation will visit Switzerland from August 26 to 28, 2014 to bring back the illegal money from the Swiss banks.
It may be mentioned here that Pakistanis have deposited almost $200 billion illegally in the Swiss bank accounts while the total sum of the cash deposited illegally is 7000 billion dollars. Pakistan’s $200 bn plus in Swiss Banks and its finance minister is begging IMF and World Bank for few dollars.”
Finally, Keeping in view with all the information available now and evidence, documents with the government of Pakistan it would be highly appropriate for General Qamar Bajwa, Chief of Army Staff to order a Military trial of this financial terrorist Tariq Bajwa former secretary finance and all those aiders, abettors and accomplices and if he is found guilty of financial terrorism, he should sign the orders of hanging till death like he is doing for the other terrorists.
Senator Mohammad Ishaq Dar
Government of Pakistan
Apartment No.18, Minister’s Enclave, Islamabad
Permanent Address: 7-H, Gulberg-III, Lahore
Home Number: 042-35881594
Mobile Number: 0321-8478603
Fax Number: 042-35881521
22nd January 2016
Office of the Attorney General
Government of Switzerland
Tel: +41 58 462 45 79, Fax: +41 58 462 45 07
Re: Recovery of Pakistan’s $200 billion in Swiss banks
- I am writing to you as per advice by a prominent British lawyer who is also member of British Parliament Rt. Hon: Rehman Chisti. While speaking at Pakistan Conference held at RUSI (Royal United Services Institute) on October 1st October 2015 Rt. Hon Rehman Chisti said: a letter from government of Pakistan (Attorney General) must be sent to the Swiss Government seeking release of information as well as return of the corruption money deposited of Pakistanis in Swiss Banks. He was responding to a question of senior British Journalist Dr Shahid Qureshi editor of The London Post.
- I would like to inform you that I have submitted in writing in the Parliament of Pakistan (National Assembly) that: “government is seriously considering steps to bring back illegal assets from Swiss banks.
- I told the National Assembly in writing that the government is seriously mulling to exchange information regarding the illegal money deposited in the Swiss banks under new laws. The new Act of 2010 allows the Swiss government to exchange the confidential information regarding the illegal amount deposited in the Swiss banking industry.
- I also said that the Pakistan-Switzerland tax agreement is unsatisfactory, and amendments are required in order to gain access to Pakistani capital.
- I have said that the Federal cabinet has approved the summary to review the agreement with the Swiss government.
- My Parliamentary Secretary for Finance Rana Afzal is of the view that the names and accounts of those Pakistanis could be accessed who have deposited unauthorized money in the Swiss banks if the amendments are approved in the Pakistan-Switzerland agreement.
- I told the parliament that a delegation will visit Switzerland from August 26 to 28, 2014 to bring back the illegal money from the Swiss banks. It may be mentioned here that Pakistanis have deposited almost $200 billion illegally in the Swiss bank accounts while the total sum of the cash deposited illegally is 7000 billion dollars.
- In a detailed response to a question raised by Dr Arif Alvi (MNA), the minister quoted statements by a Swiss banker and a former Swiss government minister: “One of the directors of Credit Suisse AG stated on the record that $97 billion worth of Pakistani capital was deposited only in his bank. Similarly, Micheline Calmy-Rey, a former Swiss foreign minister, is reported to have put the amount of Pakistani money hidden in Switzerland at $200 billion — a statement that was never contradicted,” he revealed.
- Saying that he believed the figures were correct, Mr Dar said the situation called for immediate corrective action. To put the enormity of this find into perspective, Pakistan’s total external debt stands at $150 billion and its gross domestic product is said to be around $300 billion. The country can, theoretically, pay off all its debt with the money in Swiss banks and still have nearly a quarter of it left over”.
- I told the parliament that the government of Pakistan was working under the ambit of a new Swiss law, known as ‘The Restitution of Illicit Assets Act, 2010’ (RIAA), which allows the Swiss government to exchange information — which was considered confidential up to now — regarding money that may have been obtained illegally and deposited in Swiss banks. He also briefed the house on the steps the government was taking to get the money back.
- I must inform you that: “Pakistan’s federal cabinet in a meeting on Sept 20, 2013 had already approved renegotiation of the current Pak-Swiss tax treaty and Federal Board of Revenue officials and the Swiss authorities concerned had agreed to meet in August this year to upgrade the existing agreement”.
- I must inform you that I will be informing the World Bank body to assist Pakistan in this process:
The Stolen Asset Recovery Initiative (StAR)
The StAR Secretariat
1818 H street NW
Washington DC 20433 USA
In view of the above I would request you to kindly issue a disclosure with the names and amount of money, assets and wealth deposited of all Pakistanis in Swiss Banks so we could start process of the return of the assets stolen from Pakistan by individuals and companies.
I Thank you in advance for your assistance. I look forward to hear from you soon.
Senator Muhmmad Ishaq Dar
Government of Pakistan
Disclaimer: This is an imaginary letter but Ishaq Dar is welcome to use it by paying postage stamps before sending to Swiss Government.
(Dr Shahid Qureshi is senior analyst with BBC and chief editor of The London Post. He writes on security, terrorism and foreign policy. He also appears as analyst on Al-Jazeera, Press TV, MBC, Kazak TV (Kazakhstan), LBC Radio London. He was also international election observer for Azerbaijan April 2018, Kazakhstan 2015 and 2016 and Pakistan 2002. He has written a famous book “War on Terror and Siege of Pakistan” published in 2009. At Government College Lahore he wrote his MA thesis on ‘Political Thought of Imam Khomeini’ and visited Tehran University. He is PhD in ‘Political Psychology’ and studied Law at a British University. He also speaks at Cambridge University. He is a visiting Professor at Hebe University in China.)
Disclaimer views expressed are not of The London Post